meganmorlok

meganmorlok

The Golem and the Jinni
Helene Wecker
If I Stay - Gayle Forman I've had "If I Stay" in my collection for close to a year. Before I bought it I picked it up at least 3 times. I was drawn to it but didn't know if I wanted to commit to it. I knew it was going to be a tearjerker. Finally, on a rainy Labor Day I decided it was time to read this and I didn't regret it once I started.

Forman has truly created a beautiful story. This book could have been so ridiculously sad but it isn't. There is so much joy and hope. Reading from Mia's POV is special and her bittersweet memories about her family are lovely, hilarious, and tragic all rolled into one. Her relationship with Adam is realistic and you know they are committed to each other. I married my high school sweetheart so I understand the decisions they were making. Also, I loved that Forman really brought home the importance of choices and how they will effect the rest of your life. Mia has a choice to make. One would be much easier than the other and she understands that choosing death can be much easier that choosing life. Finally, I'm a big music person, which plays a huge role in this story. I loved this aspect of the story and how music brought a family together as well as a young couple.

Again, I can't stress how fantastic this book is. It's a very fast read but it took me a long time to fall asleep once I finished. It really makes you think about the importance of family, friends, first loves, tragedy, hope, joy, life, death, and choices. I would highly, highly recommend.