meganmorlok

meganmorlok

The Golem and the Jinni
Helene Wecker
The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity - Wm. Paul Young, Brad Cummings, Wayne Jacobsen It's amazing how much conversation sparked due to The Shack. It appears that people either love it or hate it. I've been hearing about The Shack for years but avoided reading it mainly due to the plot. I didn't want to read about the death of a little girl that leads to the destruction of her father. However, that was NOT how this parable is written. It's about a man just like us that asks a universal question, "why does God allow pain in the world."

This isn't the best written book I've ever read nor do I agree with everything written. But, it made me take a deeper look at my relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. It made me question my need for independence from God, my place in my community of faith, what it means to be truly merciful, how the Holy Spirit moves through the world, why God took the form of a human in Jesus, and so much more. The fact that one piece of literature forced me to think about all of these things is pretty incredible.

This book by no means holds all the answers and isn't a work of theology. However, it allows you to take a step back and think about the most important relationship formed in life.