meganmorlok

meganmorlok

The Golem and the Jinni
Helene Wecker
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut It's very interesting that after many high school and college history classes I had never heard about the bombing of Dresden. It was completely new to me. Overall, I did like Slaughterhouse-Five. I liked the choppy and repetitive writing style. The dark humor added with such a upsetting topic is a great way to get the message across. Finally, it's never easy to read about war or to fully comprehend something so devastating since I've never experienced it first hand. However Vonnegut did experience it first hand, and his portrayal hit home in a different way than any other war focused book I've read before. It helped me understand that as humans we must cope with reality in different ways. Some of us have to write it out, others need to make up imaginary planets that they can travel too, some people drink, and others have to make it strategic and thought out and so on and so forth. Overall, we will never be able to stop war and destruction from happening. However, we can live our lives together and attempt to create good moments to remember. Also, live for the present moment not your past or your future.

We went to the New York World's Fair, saw what the past had been like, according to the Ford Motor Car Company and Walt Disney, saw what the future would be like, according to General Motors. And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep."
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five, Chapter 1