meganmorlok

meganmorlok

The Golem and the Jinni
Helene Wecker
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee There isn't much I can say in this review that hasn't already been said many times by much better reviewers, however, I can promise that they are absolutely right. Angelfall is a fantastic novel with a solid plot, complex characters, intrigue, excellent pacing and so much more.

There are a few things that I want to point out that I thoroughly appreciate about Angelfall and its author. First off, the biblical themes are played out nicely. Angels are definitely the new trend in YA literature. I've only read a few but what sort of bothers me about this genre is when biblical themes surrounding angels are completely left out. I'm all about taking a unique spin on old themes but you can't just discount everything the general population believe about angels just so you can have a supernatural, hot, bad boy character. However, you can tell that Ee did some research and took general knowledge about angels and used it to her advantage. It was so nicely done!

Secondly, it's so refreshing to read a novel where the author respects her audience enough to not feel the need to foreshadow us to death. Ugh. I drives me crazy when I'm 30 pages into a YA novel, and I already know what's going to happen. It's happened SO MANY times. However, Ee's plot is not at all predictable. I had no idea what was going to happen and STILL have no idea where the second book will take us. That's just awesome.

Thirdly, I'm a strong supporter of independents. My father has owned an independent records store for over 30 years, my mother was worked in independent clothing stores for decades, and I adore independent book stores. I GREATLY respect Ee for taking the independent publishing route and moving away from the status quo that can suck the creativity right out a good author. She has proved that not all independent books are crappy and the authors couldn't find a publisher.

Finally, thank you Ee for making Penryn so awesome. I love that she can take care of herself, that she isn't a lovesick girl with no personality, that she loves her family even though they have flaws, that she takes responsibility for her actions, and that she pays attention to the world around her. Additionally, I'm so pleased that the relationship between Penryn and Raffe isn't immediate and based on lust. There is substance thank goodness!

To close this review I would highly recommend this book but with some caution. Angelfall is very gruesome. There are some disturbing moments that probably shouldn't be read by younger teens. This is for older teens for sure. Additionally, if you don't like gore in general this probably isn't for you.